Are you planning to purchase Enterprise Resource Planning software for your business? If your answer is affirmative, then you need to decide carefully whether to go for a custom ERP software or an off-the-shelf one for your company. Of course, it is a tough choice as the customized one is scalable; therefore many SMEs demand customized ERP for running their manufacturing business smoothly. On the other hand, off-the-shelf is the one that falls in an affordable category. But do not forget the basic fact that several other factors are necessary to consider before purchasing the right ERP software for the company besides pricing.
What is Custom ERP Software?
This kind of software program is designed for an organization to meet its specific requirements. As they are custom-made, therefore they are highly reliable and scalable. Manufacturing companies demand Customized ERP from reputed companies like Webcity Technologies LLP for meeting their organizational requirements.
What is Off-The-Shelf Software?
The off-the-shelf software programs are built-in in advance and are in a ready-to-use format. This kind of software is pre-loaded with several features. These software programs are extensively verified as well as tested before releasing into the market for the public.
Which kind of software to choose?
Just like every side has two coins, the same is the case with off-the-shelf and customized ERP software. Let’s check out some of the factors prudent to weigh upon while deciding the right kind of software for your company:
1. Budget: Surprisingly, in the long run, off-the-shelf software proves to be expensive. What happens, is that readymade software programs have low upfront costs but due to ongoing maintenance, subscription fees, and formal training required, they prove costly over time. On the other hand, custom software programs have an expensive upfront cost but it is custom-made as per organizational requirements, thus overhead expenses are low. Many medium to large-scale industries understand this basic fact therefore they prefer customized ERP.
2. Architecture: Custom software programs built with greater accuracy and with a clear understanding of the company’s goals, thus they are highly robust and scalable. In other words, flexibility is the complimentary feature of customized software. On the other hand, off-the-shelf ERP software has a complex architectural set up creating problems during the implementation phase. These software programs become unsuitable when there is any change in the business workflow or pattern. Due to this reason only, these software programs are less flexible as well.
3. Execution Timelines: Since all features and functionalities are pre-defined in off-the-shelf software programs, they are quick and prompt. The only low side is that employees require formal training to operate successfully, which is time-consuming. On the other hand, customized ERP takes a considerable length of time for setting up but lesser time in training.
4. Integration with External Systems: The requirements were analyzed, identified, and verified before developing customized ERP for SMEs. Therefore, in such cases, integration with any other software or external systems poses no problem. In the case of off-the-shelf software, third-party integration proves to be an expensive proposition. Companies need to resolve hordes of data management and licensing issues that are both energy-draining and time-consuming. So, if you feel that you are confused about which software to buy, here is the summary for you:
Go for Customized ERP Software for your Manufacturing or any other Company if:
- If you want to save costs in the long run.
- If you are looking for a flexible and mission-critical solution for meeting your business needs.
- If you want a high return on your business investment.
- If you are ready to bear the time lag required for development and implementation. Go for Off-the-Shelf ERP Software, when You want affordable software with no extra cost regarding license, storage, and other purchases.
- If there is a standard business workflow methodology.
- If you are looking for easy to implement an ERP system with less flexibility.
At last, the decision is up to you which is better work for you off-the-shelf or custom ERP software but make the decision precisely and carefully. If you are searching for pre-build software for your business then go with Off-The-Shelf ERP, but if your business requires customized features and specific requirements that cannot be met with an existing system go with a custom ERP software.
For the past 14 years Webcity Technologies LLP serving our robust ERP software to the manufacturing industry, We aspire to offer industry-specific ERP software solutions that will enable clients to manage their business efficiently by keeping quality and cost in total control. Speak with our experts if you’re still having difficulty making decisions for assistance in this area.